Māori Medium Schools
Latest Directory Update: February 2019
We have recently been in contact with schools and many have agreed to have their email addresses publicly released. These email addresses have now been added to the Māori Medium Schools Directory downloads. Persons or organisations wishing to send email material to individuals or organisations whose email addresses appear in this directory must comply with the requirements of the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007. Publication of email addresses on this site should not be taken as deemed consent to receiving unsolicited email.
Principal names are available for State and State Integrated Schools only. The most up to date information that we have available has been provided. Recent changes may not be reflected.
Māori Language in Education
Māori medium education is where students are taught all or some curriculum subjects in the Māori language for at least 51 percent of the time (Māori Language Immersion Levels 1-2).
Māori language in English medium where students are learning Te Reo Māori as a language subject, or taught curriculum subjects in the Māori language for up to 50 percent of the time (Māori Language Immersion levels 3-5).
No Māori Language in Education is where the student learns at most Simple words, greetings or songs in Māori (Level 6- Taha Māori) or no Māori language learning of any kind.
Schools included in this directory are all schools recorded as having at least 1 student enrolled in Māori medium education (Māori Language Immersion Levels 1-2). This includes 4 types of schools:
- Māori medium school is a school where all Students are recorded as enrolled in Māori medium education
- School with Māori medium education is a school where some students do Māori medium education and the rest do no Māori language in education.
- Mixed Māori Language in Education School is a school where all students are either involved in Māori medium education or Māori language in English medium education.
- School with Mixed Māori Language in Education School is a school where some students do Maori medium education, some do Māori language in English medium education and some do no Māori language in education.
Using a Directory of Educational Institutions
To learn more about these types of functions use the package help function
These directories are easiest to use when you download the excel workbook of the directory you wish to use to your desktop so that you can use the full range of excel features including find, sort and filter.
You can use the find function to search for a specific institute if you have its name/number. Sorting and filtering make it easier to find and analyse the education institute data. Excel allows you to sort your worksheet by using information from one or more columns, for example, by school type and region. Sorting has the effect of placing records, in this case education institutions, with the same sort criteria next to each other. Filtering allows you to block out records you don't want to see, leaving a view of the data you are interested in.
Instructions to filter document
- Click on the row number with the column headings
- Go to [Data] [Filter] [AutoFilter] (Drop down arrows will appear in the column headings)
- From here, you can select the data you require by using the drop down arrows
For the schooling directory, if you wish to identify all full primary schools in Upper Hutt
- Go to column 'R' Territorial Local Authority click down arrow, select Upper Hutt City, then go to column 'N' Type select Full Primary
- When you have finished your query simply click on the columns you filtered and select all to display all the institutions again
Where to find out more
Contact UsEducation Data Requests
If you have any questions about education data then please contact us at:
Email: Requests EDK
Phone: +64 4 463 8065
Updating School Details
If you would like to update the details for a school, please email the: Information Mailbox