International students in New Zealand
Statistics in this section include the numbers of international students studying in New Zealand, international students’ progression through the New Zealand education system, their academic achievement, support provided for international students and international students’ experiences in New Zealand, their employment outcomes, and ongoing links to New Zealand as alumni.
Last Updated: October 2020
Export Education Levy Statistics
Statistics relating to the Export Education Levy, collected from the export education industry. Export education relates to the provision of education to full fee-paying international students who come to New Zealand to study in both the schooling and tertiary sectors. The Export Education Levy Key Statistics contain a number of time series, starting from 2003 when the Levy was first collected, and include the number of international student enrolments, by type of provider, by region where they are studying, by country of citizenship.
- Export Education Levy: Full-year statistics 2019 [MS Excel 204kB]
The Export Education Levy for the 2019 year has been updated on 21 October 2020 to include tour-group and continuing students in non-government funded providers. Historical citizenship data for non-government funded providers has also been adjusted.
- Exchange rates and international student enrolments in NZ (2003-2013) [PDF 397kB]
- New Zealand universities trends in international enrolments [PDF 409kB]
- International student enrolments in New Zealand 2006-2012 [PDF 923kB]
- New Zealand Schools: Trends in international enrolments to 2013 [PDF 415kB]
- International Education Fact Sheet: Outcomes for international tertiary students [PDF 312kB]
Export Education Levy Annual Report
- Export Education Levy Annual Report June 2019 [PDF 1.2mB]
Historic Export Education Levy Annual Reports
- Export Education Levy Annual Report June 2018 [PDF 1.2mB]
- Export Education Levy Annual Report June 2017 [PDF 13.9mB]
- Export Education Levy Annual Report June 2016 [PDF 13.9mB]
- Export Education Levy Annual Report June 2015 [PDF 9.3mB]
- Export Education Levy Annual Report June 2014 [PDF 4.0mB]
- Export Education Levy Annual Report June 2013 [PDF 1.0mB]
- Export Education Levy Annual Report 2011-2012 [PDF 769kB]
International student satisfaction in NZ: National survey results reports
These reports provide the opportunity to understand international students' experience studying and living in New Zealand. International students in New Zealand were most recently surveyed by the International Graduate Insight Group (i-graduate). Students in universities and institutes of technology/polytechnics were surveyed in 2011, and due to the effects of the February 2011 Christchurch earthquake, students in private training establishments, English language providers and secondary schools were surveyed one year later in 2012.
These surveys were preceded by national surveys of international students carried out in 2003 and 2007. Due to methodological differences between the surveys, data from 2011/12 cannot be directly compared with data from 2007 and 2003.
- International Education Fact Sheet: Satisfaction of international students [PDF 188kB]
- New Zealand PTE (Private Training Education) 2012 summary results [PDF 200kB]
- New Zealand PTE (Private Training Education) 2012 presentation [PDF 2.5mB]
- New Zealand ELP (English Language Provider) 2012 summary results [PDF 200kB]
- New Zealand ELP (English Language Provider) 2012 presentation [PDF 5.7mB]
- New Zealand school sector student survey 2012 summary results [PDF 200kB]
- New Zealand school sector student survey 2012 presentation [PDF 5.4mB]
- New Zealand ITP (International Tertiary Provider) 2011 executive summary [PDF 403kB]
- New Zealand universities international student barometer 2011 executive summary [PDF 397kB]