Information on copyright, content policies and privacy relating to the Education Counts website.
Accessibility FeaturesDescribes the accessibility features built in to the Education Counts website Education Counts' endeavours to be a highly accessible website. Its design and development specifically maximise accessibility. This site employs many features to make information more accessible, including:
- Images and hyperlinks have text title alternatives (ALT attributes) to help describe what the image is, and where a link takes you.
- The site can be navigated without the use of a mouse. (see instructions below)
- The user can skip the navigation and go straight to the main content of the page. (see instructions below)
- All text uses relative font sizes so text can be enlarged or reduced using the text size options available in visual browsers. (see instructions below)
- All pages use flexible page formats so pages can be automatically resized for different window sizes and screen resolutions.
- All pages are designed with separate cascading style sheets, so they can be replaced by user-defined style sheets.
- This site follows World Wide Web and NZ E-Government accessibility guidelines.
Using the site without a mouseThe site can be used without a mouse. The following shortcut keys will take you to commonly used pages such as the home page:
1 = Home
2 = Site Map
3 = Site Search
4 = Indicators
5 = Topics
6 = Data Collections
7 = Statistics
8 = Publications
l = Links
c = Contact Us
The procedure for using shortcut, or 'Access' keys, varies depending on which web browser you view the site with. The following table shows the Access Key combinations for a range of popular web browsers:
|Operating System||Browser||Access Key Combination|
|PC Windows||Internet Explorer 4 and above||ALT + Access Key (to focus the link) + ENTER to activate|
|PC Windows||K-meleon||ALT + Access Key|
|PC Windows||Mozilla||ALT + Shift + Access Key|
|PC Windows||Netscape 6 and above||ALT + Access Key|
|PC Windows||Opera 7||SHIFT + ESC, followed by Access Key|
|MAC OS 9||Internet Explorer 4 7 and 4.5||Not supported|
|MAC OS 9||Mozilla||Not supported|
|MAC OS 9||Netscape 4||Not supported|
|MAC OS 9||Opera||Not supported|
|MAC OS X||I-Cab 2.8||CONTROL + Access Key*|
|MAC OS X||Internet Explorer 5 and 5.1||CONTROL + Access Key**|
|MAC OS X||Mozilla||Not supported|
|MAC OS X||Netscape 6 and above||CONTROL + Access Key|
|MAC OS X||OmniWeb 4||Not supported|
|MAC OS X||Opera||Not supported|
|MAC OS X||Safari||Not supported|
Skip Navigation LinkTo help those who use screen readers to access/view Education Counts we have added a skipping link to each page. This link allows the user to jump to the main content of the page, skipping the top banner links, left-hand side navigation links, and the breadcrumb links. The main content of the page is deemed to start at the top-left hand corner; directly next to the page title (usually within a summary box).
To use this option, 'Tab' twice and push 'Enter'/'Return' (the first Tab takes you to the address bar the second to the Skip Navigation Link). Alternatively you can move your cursor to the Skip Navigation Link, which is directly to the left of the Education Counts logo at the top of the page, and push 'Enter'/'Return'.