Statistics on staffing in the ECE sector, including tables on numbers and characteristics of ECE teachers.
Early Childhood Education Remuneration Summary
Between August and October 2020, Strategic Pay ran a survey of staff remuneration at education and care services, kindergartens, and home-based services. The average annual salary for a qualified teacher at an education & care service is $55,964, compared to $72,880 for qualified teachers at a kindergarten.
The following document gives a summary of the results of this survey.
ECE Census Summary
From 2014 the Early Learning Information (ELI) system was introduced to capture data electronically resulting in some definition changes, including how teaching staff are defined. In ELI the count includes all teaching staff who had contact with children during census week (including relievers and temporary staff). Prior to 2014, the paper-based form RS61 excluded relievers and temporary staff from its count. Therefore numbers are likely to be higher from 2014 and caution needs to be taken when comparing data collected pre and post 2014.
In 2019, 90% of licensed ECE services submitted their ECE returns through ELI. Only Te Kōhanga Reo, casual and hospital-based services submitted paper-based RS61 return.
The following document gives an overview of key findings from the latest ECE census.
- A3: Early Learning Teaching Staff 2021[PDF 152.1kB]
The tables below provide statistics on the number of teaching staff and educators in ECE services. These include interactive pivot tables which allow you to create your own tables by any combination of variables available and time-series files which are pre-made tables which centre on key statistics.
Please note: use of the pivot table spreadsheets require MS Excel version 2007 or later.
Numbers of teaching staff within licensed teacher-led ECE services by type of service, full-time, part time, qualification and registration status.
- Pivot Table: Number of teaching staff (2011-2021)[MS Excel 906.6kB]
- Pivot Table: Number of teaching staff by ethnicity (2019-2021)[MS Excel 393.0kB]
- ECE Teaching staff: Work status and total hours worked 2020-2021 [MS Excel 75.1kB]
- Time Series Data: Number of teaching staff by full-time/part time status (2011-2021) [MS Excel 45.1kB]
- Time Series Data: Number of teaching staff by qualification status (2011-2021) [MS Excel 41.9kB]
- Time Series Data: Number of teaching staff by registration status (2011-2021) [MS Excel 46.1kB]
Attestation for Certificated Teachers' Salaries
Responses provided by Education and Care and Hospital-based services to the Attestation of Certificated Teachers' Salaries section of the RS7 Return. Services who attest to meeting certain salary conditions are entitled to higher rates of funding.
- Attestation for certificated teachers' salaries: November 2021[MS Excel 150.5kB]
Numbers of educators within home-based ECE services by gender and other regional type variables.
- Pivot Table: Home-based Educators (2011-2021)[MS Excel 275.9kB]
- Time Series Data: Home-based Educators (2011-2021)[MS Excel 36.9kB]
Teacher-to-child ratios in licensed teacher-led ECE services (Education & Care services and Kindergartens). Please note change in methodology between 2013 and 2014.
- Time Series Data: Teacher-child Ratios (2011-2021)[MS Excel 178.6kB]