Primary School Languages (Years 1 to 8)
Each year the Ministry collects data on the numbers of students at primary year levels who receive language tuition (other than English or Te Reo Māori) at any time during the school year. If a language was taught on a rotational basis (e.g. term by term), schools are asked to estimate the total number of students in each category who will receive language instruction during the school year. Data beyond 2017 is not published as it is incomplete. This partial data may be available on request by contacting the Requests EDK mailbox below.
Information was collected about the following languages:
- Pacific Island Languages: Samoan, Cook Island Māori, Tongan, Niue, Fijian, Tokelauan, Other Pacific Is.
- European Languages: French, German, Spanish, Russian
- Asian Languages: Japanese, Chinese Languages, Indonesian
- Others: Other Languages
Time Series: Primary Languages
- Time Series: Primary Languages by Year and Hours 2000-2017[MS Excel 44kB]
- Time Series: Primary Languages by School 2000-2017[MS Excel 895kB]