Primary School Languages (Years 1 to 8)
From 2017, the Ministry no longer publishes this data as it is incomplete. The partial data may be available on request by contacting Requests EDK mailbox.
The Ministry collects data on the number of students at primary year levels who receive language tuition (other than English or Te Reo Māori). If a language was taught on a rotational basis (e.g. term by term), schools are asked to estimate the total number of students in each category who will receive language instruction during the school year.
Information was collected about the following languages:
- Pacific Island Languages: Samoan, Cook Island Māori, Tongan, Niue, Fijian, Tokelauan, Other Pacific Is.
- European Languages: French, German, Spanish, Russian
- Asian Languages: Japanese, Chinese Languages, Indonesian
- Others: Other Languages
Primary Languages 2000-2017
- Time Series: Primary Languages by Year and Hours 2000-2017[MS Excel 44kB]
- Time Series: Primary Languages by School 2000-2017[MS Excel 895kB]
- Pivot Table: Primary Language Enrolments 2000-2017[MS Excel 1.5mB]