PISA 2012: New Zealand Summary Report
This summary report provides an overview of New Zealand results for mathematics, reading and science in an international context. In addition this report looks at the overall trends in New Zealand achievement for each of these subjects as well as for priority learners (Māori, Pasifika and low socio-economic students).
Author(s): Steve May, Saila Cowles and Michelle Lamy, Research Division, Ministry of Education.
Date Published: December 2013
This report is available as a download (please refer to the 'Downloads' inset box). For links to related publications/ information that may be of interest please refer to the 'Where to Find Out More' inset box.
- New Zealand’s average scores in mathematics, reading and science have declined since 2009.
- New Zealand’s performance in these subjects has also declined relative to other countries.
- However, New Zealand’s average achievement in mathematics, science and reading remains above the OECD average.
- Compared to earlier cycles of PISA there are larger proportions of New Zealand students with low performance in mathematics and science (below PISA proficiency Level 2). The OECD considers proficiency Level 2 as the baseline level at which students begin to demonstrate the competencies that will enable them to participate actively in life situations.
- While the proportion of top performers in reading (PISA proficiency Level 5 or higher) has declined, the proportion of students at the highest level (Level 6) has not declined by much. New Zealand still has one of the largest proportions at this level among participating countries.
No results were found
Evaluation of the Retention Pilot Programmes for Māori Medium Beginning Teachers
He Whakaaro: What developmental resources do our pre-schoolers have approaching the transition to school?
University rankings factsheets
2018 Teaching and Learning International Survey (TALIS)
Teaching and Learning International Survey (TALIS)
Insights for Teachers | Teaching and Learning International Survey 2014
Year 7-10 Teaching Workforce
Year 7-10 teachers' training and professional development
- ALL (Adult Literacy and Life Skills Survey)
- Annual Early Childhood Education Census
- Attendance in New Zealand Schools
- BES (Iterative Best Evidence Synthesis)
- Demographics and Educational Rolls
- He Whakaaro: Education Insights
- ICCS (International Civic and Citizenship Education Study)
- Insights for Teachers | Teaching and Learning International Survey 2014
- Learning Support Client Satisfaction Survey
- Māori in Tertiary Education: Fact Sheets
- Monitoring Youth Guarantee
- National Monitoring Study of Student Achievement (NMSSA)
- NCEA Fact Sheets
- New Zealand Schools: Ngā Kura o Aotearoa
- OECD's Education at a Glance
- PIRLS (Progress in International Reading Literacy Study)
- PISA (Programme for International Student Assessment)
- Positive Behaviour for Learning (PB4L)
- Profile & Trends: New Zealand's Tertiary Education Sector
- Quarterly Migration Reports
- Resource Teachers: Literacy Data Collection
- Student Loan Scheme Annual Reports
- Survey of Adult Skills (PIAAC)
- Survey of Overseas Teachers
- Teaching and Learning International Survey (TALIS)
- Tertiary Education Strategies: Monitoring and Evaluation