Profile & Trends 2014: New Zealand's Annual Tertiary Education Enrolments [Part 1 of 5]
This is edition 17 in an annual series on the tertiary education sector. Profile and Trends 2014: New Zealand's Annual Tertiary Education Enrolments is the first of five new annual reports that, together, constitute Ministry of Education's annual publication Profile and Trends: New Zealand's Tertiary Education Sector.
The key findings of New Zealand's Annual Tertiary Enrolments for 2014 were:
- 418,000 students were enrolled in formal study programmes in 2014, including 53,900 international students.
- Enrolment numbers increased from 2013 to 2014 for domestic students aged 18 to 19 years, while they remained stable for 20 to 24 year-olds and declined for students aged 25 years and over.
- Tertiary education participation rate has been increasing among the ethnic groups for bachelors and postgraduate qualifications and decreasing for non-degree qualifications.
Author(s): Tertiary Sector Performance Analysis, Ministry of Education.
Date Published: June 2015
This report is available as a download (please refer to the 'Downloads' inset box). For links to related publications/ information that may be of interest please refer to the 'Where to Find Out More' inset box.
New Zealand's Annual Tertiary Education Enrolments is the first of five reports to be published this year, replacing Profile & Trends: New Zealand's Tertiary Education Sector. The new Profile & Trends series will be published throughout the year as new information becomes available. The reports to be published in 2015 will contain data on tertiary education trends and changes for the year ended December 2014, unless otherwise stated. The order of publication of the other four reports and the topic covered in each report is as follows:
- New Zealand's Tertiary Education Research
- New Zealand's Workplace-based Learners
- Tertiary Education Outcomes and Qualification Completions
- Tertiary Education System and Student Support
Most of the statistics in New Zealand's Annual Tertiary Education Enrolments are derived from returns provided by government-funded tertiary education providers to the Ministry of Education and to the Tertiary Education Commission. A list of figures and tables is included at the end of the report.
The report begins with an overview of the students in tertiary education (chapter 1), followed by profiles of students in formal study at providers and their courses of study. Chapter 2 covers students in level 1 to 3 qualifications, chapter 3 covers students in level 4 to 7 non-degree qualifications, and chapter 4 covers students in bachelors and postgraduate qualifications. Data on study loads, provider type, gender and ethnic group is also included throughout the report. The focus of chapter 5 is on non-formal tertiary education. Non-formal tertiary education is study that does not contribute to a recognised qualification.
This year's Profile & Trends series represent the 17th annual survey of the tertiary education system to be published by the Ministry of Education.
Where to find out more
For more information about the content on this webpage, please email the: Tertiary Mailbox