Te Puni Rumaki: Strengthening the preparation, capability and retention of Māori-medium teacher trainees (2014)
The main aim of the research project Te Puni Rumaki was to gather information about practices and strategies that successfully prepare and retain Māori-medium initial teacher education students so that they are well equipped to teach in Māori-medium contexts. It also aimed to gather information about how practices and strategies might be further strengthened and improved.
Author(s): Margie Hōhepa, Ngārewa Hāwera, Karaitiana Tamatea & Sharyn Heaton. Report Commissioned by the Ministry of Education.
Date Published: June 2014
This report is available as a download (please refer to the 'Downloads' inset box). Please consider the environment before printing the contents of this report.
Ensuring the quality of Māori-medium teachers is a fundamental goal for those who provide Māori-medium initial teacher education (ITE). It is central to ensuring educational success for and with Māori-medium learners.
The report begins with a literature review and an overview of the Māori-medium initial teacher education landscape. We acknowledge the work of Jillian Tipene in preparing this chapter.
Online surveys were used to collect information from students and staff from seven Māori-medium ITE programmes.
A whare kōrero case study approach was used to collect information from
- staff and students from four tertiary institutions that provide Māori-medium ITE programmes;
- former students who had attended Māori-medium ITE programmes across the four different institutions;
- kura that provide practicum support and employment to students from the four institutions' Māori-medium programmes; and
- iwi organisations from rohe in which each of the four institutions or institution's main campus is located.
Kōrero or discussions were used to collect information from four education stakeholder groups.
Key findings of this project indicate that successful preparation and retention of Māori-medium ITE students will require
- a clearer definition of Māori-medium ITE;
- formal and targeted approaches to address the range in fluency in te reo Māori of Māori-medium ITE students and teaching staff; and
- emphasis on preparing students to be able to teach content aligned to Te Marautanga o Aotearoa and/or Marau ā-Iwi.
Education Data Requests
If you have any questions about education data then please contact us at:
Email: Requests EDK
Phone: +64 4 463 8065