Annual ECE Census Summary Report 2010 Publications
This report summarises the results from the July 2010 Annual Census of ECE services. It includes statistics indicating the number of services, number of children enrolled, hours of attendance, the language of communication used by teaching staff, and statistics on staffing.
It is important to note, that this release reports on enrolments. A child may enrol in more than one ECE service, and so statistics on rates of enrolment will be an over-estimate of the true rates of participation in the population.
Author(s): Data Management and Analysis, Ministry of Education.
Date Published: January 2011
Key Highlights as at 1 July 2010
- There were 5,152 early childhood education services in July 2010, an increase of 14.6% (656) since 2006
- There were 211,426 enrolments in both license and license-exempt early childhood education services in July 2010. Enrolments in licensed early childhood education services numbered 188,924 in July 2010, an increase of 14.3% (23,670) since 2006
- Of the total number of enrolments in licensed early childhood education services, 17.7% were age one and below, 19.5% were age two, and 62.8% were three years old and above
- On average, children enrolled in licensed early childhood education services attended for 20.1 hours per week, up from 16.9 hours in 2006
- ECE participation rates remain noticeably lower for Māori and Pasifika children.
- For licensed services, excluding kōhanga reo, The Correspondence School and casual education and care3, the overall average number of hours per enrolment per week was 20.1 hours, an 18.9% (3.2 hours) increase from July 2006.
- As at 1 July 2010, 67.4% of usual teaching staff at teacher-led services were registered. This is an increase of 13.9% in the number of registered teachers from July 2009.
- The July 2010 Annual Census of ECE services was was formerly known as the Annual Census of Children and Staff at Licensed Early Childhood Education (ECE) services and licence-exempt groups.
Education Data Requests
If you have any questions about education data please contact us:
Email: Requests EDK
Phone: +64 4 463 8065