Annual ECE Census Summary Report 2007 Publications
This report summarises the results from the July 2007 annual census of children and staff at licensed and/or chartered early childhood education (ECE) services and licence-exempt ECE groups. It includes statistics indicating the number of licensed services and licence-exempt ECE groups, number of children enrolled by ethnicity and age, and language of communication used by teaching staff. Statistics on the number of staff who are qualified and registered and/or studying towards an ECE qualification are also noted
Author(s): Data Management and Analysis, Ministry of Education.
Date Published: January 2008
Key Highlights as at 1 July 2007
- There were 4,479 early childhood education services, a decrease of 0.4% (17) from 1 July 2006.
- There were 3,750 licensed and/or chartered services, an increase of 2.3% (85) from 1 July 2006.
- There were 729 licence-exempt ECE groups, a decrease of 12.3% (102) from 1 July 2006.
- The number of early childhood education services has increased by 4.6% (199) since 2003.
- Of the 3,749 (excludes Correspondence School) licensed and/or chartered early childhood education services, 65.6% (2,460) are community based. The remaining 34.4% (1,289) are privately owned services.
- Of the 1,968 education and care services (including casual-education and care), which account for 52.5% of all licensed services as at 1 July 2007, 41.7% (820) are community based and 58.3% (1,148) are privately owned.
- Of the 227 homebased networks, 37.9% (86) are community based and 62.1% (141) are privately owned.
- There were 190,907 children enrolled in early childhood education, an increase of 6.1% (10,907) since 2003.
- There were 171,138 children enrolled in licensed early childhood education services, an increase of 6.8% (10,965) since 2003.
- There were 19,769 children enrolled in licence-exempt ECE groups, a decrease of 0.3% (58) since 2003.
- Of the 91,733 enrolments in education and care services, 41.6% (38,172) were in community-based services and 58.4% (53,561) were in privately owned services.
- Of the 11,073 enrolments in homebased networks, 33.7% (3,737) were in community-based services and 66.3% (7,336) were in privately owned services.
Education Data Requests
If you have any questions about education data please contact us:
Email: Requests EDK
Phone: +64 4 463 8065