Annual ECE Census Summary Report 2006 Publications
This report summarises the results from the July 2006 annual census of children and staff at licensed and/or chartered early childhood education (ECE) services and licence-exempt ECE groups. It includes statistics indicating the number of licensed services and licence-exempt ECE groups, number of children enrolled by ethnicity and age, and language of communication used by teaching staff. Statistics on the number of staff who are qualified and registered and/or studying towards an ECE qualification are also noted.
Author(s): Data Management and Analysis, Ministry of Education.
Date Published: February 2007
Key Highlights as at 1 July 2006
- There were 4,496 early childhood education services, an increase of 1.4 percent (60) from 1 July 2005.
- There were 3,665 licensed and/or chartered services, an increase of 1.9 percent (67) from 1 July 2005.
- There were 831 licence-exempt ECE groups, a decrease of 0.8 percent (7) from 1 July 2005.
- The number of early childhood education services has increased by 6.3 percent (268) since 2002.
- Of the 3,664 (excludes Correspondence School) licensed and/or chartered early childhood education services, 67.4 percent (2,470) are community based. The remaining 32.6 percent (1,194) are privately owned services.
- Of the 1,883 education and care services (including casual-education and care), which account for 51.3 percent of all services as at 1 July 2006, 42.5 percent (801) are community based and 57.5 percent (1,082) are privately owned.
- Of the 202 homebased networks, 44.6 percent (90) are community based and 55.4 percent (112) are privately owned.
- There were 184,454 children enrolled in early childhood education, an increase of 5.4 percent (9,491) since 2002.
- There were 165,254 children enrolled in licensed early childhood education services, an increase of 5.8 percent (9,067) since 2002.
- There were 19,200 children enrolled in licence-exempt ECE groups, an increase of 2.3 percent (424) since 2002.
- Of the 86,059 enrolments in education and care services, 42.3 percent (36,430) were in community-based services and 57.7 percent (49,629) were in privately owned services.
- Of the 9,802 enrolments in homebased networks, 40 percent (3,942) were in community-based services and 60 percent (5,860) were in privately owned services.
Education Data Requests
If you have any questions about education data please contact us:
Email: Requests EDK
Phone: +64 4 463 8065