International students in New Zealand
Statistics in this section include the numbers of international students studying in New Zealand, international students’ progression through the New Zealand education system, their academic achievement, support provided for international students and international students’ experiences in New Zealand, their employment outcomes, and ongoing links to New Zealand as alumni.
Last Updated: March 2015
Export Education Levy Statistics
Statistics relating to the Export Education Levy, collected from the export education industry. Export education relates to the provision of education to full fee-paying international students who come to New Zealand to study in both the schooling and tertiary sectors. The Export Education Levy Key Statistics contain a number of time series, starting from 2003 when the Levy was first collected, and include the number of international student enrolments, by type of provider, by region where they are studying, by country of citizenship, and whether they are new or continuing students.
- Export Education Levy Key Statistics from 1 January to 30 April (2003-2014) [MS Excel, 96kb]
- Export Education Levy Key Statistics Report for Trimester 2 (1 January to 31 August) 2014 edition [MS Excel, 93kb]
- Full Year Export Education Levy (2003-2013) [MS Excel, 117kb]
- Exchange Rates & International Student Enrolments in New Zealand (2003-2013) [PDF, 397kb]
- New Zealand Universities Trends in International Enrolments [PDF, 409kb]
- International Student Enrolments in New Zealand 2006-2012 [PDF, 923kb]
- New Zealand Schools: Trends in International Enrolments to 2013 [PDF, 415kb]
- International Education Factsheet - Outcomes for International Tertiary Students [PDF, 312kb]
Export Education Levy Annual Report
- Export Education Levy Annual Report 2011-2012 [PDF, 769kb]
Reports on the results of the national surveys of international student satisfaction in New Zealand
These reports provide the opportunity to understand international students' experience studying and living in New Zealand. International students in New Zealand were most recently surveyed by the International Graduate Insight Group (i-graduate). Students in universities and institutes of technology/polytechnics
were surveyed in 2011, and due to the effects of the February 2011 Christchurch earthquake, students in private training establishments, English language providers and secondary schools were surveyed one year later in 2012.
These surveys were preceded by national surveys of international students carried out in 2003 and 2007. Due to methodological differences between the surveys, data from 2011/12 cannot be directly compared with data from 2007 and 2003.
- New Zealand PTE (Private Training Education) 2012: Summary Results [PDF, 200kb]
- New Zealand PTE Sector (Private Training Education) 2012 Presentation [PDF, 5.3mb]
- New Zealand ELP Sector (English Language Provider) 2012 Summary Results [PDF, 200kb]
- New Zealand ELP Sector (English Language Provider) 2012 Presentation [PDF, 203kb]
- New Zealand School Sector Student Survey 2012 Summary Results [PDF, 200kb]
- New Zealand School Sector Student Survey 2012 Presentation [PDF, 5.4mb]
- New Zealand ITP (International Tertiary Provider) 2011 Executive Summary [PDF, 403kb]
- New Zealand Universities International Student Barometer 2011 Executive Summary [PDF, 397kb]
International Doctoral Students
Statistics about international doctoral students enrolled in new Zealand tertiary institutions, based on data from the Single Data Return dataset. Data includes enrolments of international doctoral students by type of institution ('sub-sector'), by provider, by region of citizenship, and country of citizenship.
- International Doctoral Students Data (2003-2010) [MS Excel, 55kb]
- Graduate Longitudinal Study NZ June 2012 [PDF, 1mb]