Annual ECE Census Return Week: 21st to 27th June 2021 Data Services
From here you can access the RS61 ECE return collection forms, definitions for completing the return, and code tables relevant to the return.
Please note: The return for the 2021 ECE Census is due on the 14th July 2021.
The Annual ECE Census is completed by early childhood education services and gives the Ministry of Education a 'snapshot' of the number of attending children and staff at ECE services during the census week. This information contributes to a comprehensive information base on early childhood education in New Zealand and is used in the development of policy and monitoring of early childhood education.
2021 ECE Census Change and Clarification
There is a single change to data collected for the 2021 ECE Census
Registered teachers (ECET) have an additional Highest Qualification Code available to them.
If an ECE Teacher (ECET) is registered with the teaching council the highest qualification can now also be:
- E15 Does not have either an ECE or a Primary teaching qualification but has another teaching qualification that enables certification by the Teaching Council.
This is in addition to E12 and E14 which are already available to registered ECE Teachers.
- E12 Has an ECE teaching qualification that enables certification by the Teaching Council
- E14 Does not have an ECE teaching qualification but has a primary teaching qualification that enables certification by the Teaching Council
Additionally, there is clarification provided around the Total Hours worked field which was collected for the first time in 2020.
Clarification is provided regarding the collection of Hours (actual or total) Worked
Capturing the total hours worked by each staff member during the ECE Census week will enable the Ministry to understand the ECE workforce at a more granular level, than full-time vs part-time. It will also help to provide an insight into how much time staff spend outside of contact time with children. All services other than Playgroups, are asked to record the total hours worked for each employed staff member.
These hours include contact time, non-contact time, breaks and unpaid work, but only on the services’ premises, and do not include any leave, unpaid beaks of 15 minutes or more, or any time the staff member was ‘on-call’. When a staff member performs more than one role services are asked to add all the time worked across these roles together.
Contact hours cannot be greater than total hours worked. Your SMS will validate this rule upon submission of your census. If the rule is broken and contact hours exceed total hours you will be prompted to amend the relevant staff member’s hours and then submit your ECE Census.
Services Not Using ELI (RS61 Census Forms)
For the casual and hospital-based services and playgroups which are not connected to ELI you can complete your census digitally and submit the Excel form via Email to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 14th July 2021.
There are two RS61 Excel forms available:
- RS61 ECE Census for Casual and Hospital–based Services
- RS61 ECE Census for Playgroups
All licensed ECE services (except casual and hospital-based services) should now be connected to ELI and can complete the form electronically. If you are unable to do this, please send an email to email@example.com for assistance.
2021 ECE Return Forms
- RS61: ECE Return for Casual and Hospital-based Services 2021[MS Excel 5.3mB]
- RS61: ECE Return for Playgroups 2021[MS Excel 7.9mB]
Annual ECE Return Data Quality Report:
- Annual ECE Return Data Quality Report [PDF 351.4kB]
Services Using Early Learning Information System (ELI)
ELI is an information system for licensed ECE services. It collects and stores information on participating children's enrolment and attendance in licensed ECE services. Information is also collected on staff working in each licensed ECE service.
- ELI is available to all licensed ECE services to complete the ECE census. This is the replacement of the paper based RS61 form services used to complete.
- ELI allows licensed ECE services to submit data to the Ministry electronically. If any licensed ECE services don’t already have a student management system, you could submit the census through ELI Web which is a free student management system for all licensed ECE services. Please contact the ministry for more information on ELI Web.
- More information on ELI can be found on the ELI website. If you have further queries, you can contact the Ministry at: ELI Queries Mailbox or by calling 0800 ECE ECE (0800 323 323).