Annual ECE Census Return Week: 13th to 19th June 2022 Data Services
From here you can access the RS61 ECE return collection forms, definitions for completing the return, and code tables relevant to the return.
Please note: The return for the 2021 ECE Census is due on the 7th July 2022.
The Annual ECE Census is completed by early childhood education services and gives the Ministry of Education a 'snapshot' of the number of attending children and staff at ECE services during the census week. This information contributes to a comprehensive information base on early childhood education in New Zealand and is used in the development of policy and monitoring of early childhood education.
2022 ECE Census Change
There are two changes to data collected for the 2022 ECE Census.
Home based Educators (HBE) have updated Highest Qualification Codes available to them.
The following Highest Qualification Codes will no longer be available from 1 June 2022:
- H01 Has completed 5 - 14 credits at a minimum of a Level 4 ECE qualification listed on the New Zealand Register of Quality Assured Qualifications
- H02 Has completed 15 or more credits at a minimum of a Level 4 ECE qualification listed on the New Zealand Register of Quality Assured Qualifications
- H04 Has completed a Level 3 ECE qualification listed on the New Zealand Register of Quality Assured Qualifications
- H05 Has completed a Level 4 ECE qualification listed on the New Zealand Register of Quality Assured Qualifications
The following Highest Qualification Codes are available from 1 June 2022 onwards If a Homebased Educator (HBE) is registered with the teaching council:
- H06 Has completed any qualification recognised by the Secretary of Education by a Gazette Notice for home-based ECE services
- H07 Has completed at least 5 credits at a minimum of a Level 4 ECE qualification listed on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework
- H08 Has completed a Level 3 ECE qualification prior to 1 June 2022 listed on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework
- H09 Has completed a Level 4 or higher ECE qualification, including Te Ara Tuarua or Tohu Whakapakari (Te Kōhanga Reo qualifications), but not an ECE teaching qualification, listed on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework
Teacher turnover information is being collected in 2022.
Capturing information on teacher turnover will enable the Ministry to better understand the ECE workforce. Services are asked to record information for ECE Teachers (ECET) and Home-based Coordinators (HBC) who have either started or left since the last census.
The new teacher turnover questions include if an arriving teacher (ECET or HBC) has come directly from another ECE service, if an arriving teacher was previously employed by an ECE service, and the destination of a leaving teacher. This information will be requested if an arriving teacher has started since the last census, or if a departing teacher has left since the last census.
Services Not Using ELI (RS61 Census Forms)
For the casual and hospital-based services and playgroups which are not connected to ELI you can complete your census digitally and submit the Excel form via Email to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 7th July 2022.
There are two RS61 Excel forms available:
- RS61 ECE Census for Casual and Hospital–based Services
- RS61 ECE Census for Playgroups
All licensed ECE services (except casual and hospital-based services) should now be connected to ELI and can complete the form electronically. If you are unable to do this, please send an email to email@example.com for assistance.
2022 ECE Return Forms
- RS61: ECE Return for Casual and Hospital-based Services 2022[MS Excel 204.6kB]
- RS61: ECE Return for Playgroups 2022[MS Excel 136.7kB]
Annual ECE Return Data Quality Report:
- Annual ECE Return Data Quality Report [PDF 351.4kB]
Services Using Early Learning Information System (ELI)
ELI is an information system for licensed ECE services. It collects and stores information on participating children's enrolment and attendance in licensed ECE services. Information is also collected on staff working in each licensed ECE service.
- ELI is available to all licensed ECE services to complete the ECE census. This is the replacement of the paper based RS61 form services used to complete.
- ELI allows licensed ECE services to submit data to the Ministry electronically. If any licensed ECE services don’t already have a student management system, you could submit the census through ELI Web which is a free student management system for all licensed ECE services. Please contact the ministry for more information on ELI Web.