Curriculum implementation exploratory studies: Final Report
This final report provides an overview of the findings from the Curriculum Implementation Exploratory Studies (CIES) project.
Author(s): Bronwen Cowie, Rosemary Hipkins, Sally Boyd, Ally Bull, Paul Keown, Clive McGee, with Beverley Cooper, Jenny Ferrier-Kerr, Anne Hume, Anne McKim, Judy Moreland, Michele Morrison, Rachel Bolstad, Lorraine Spiller, Merilyn Taylor, and Russell Yates, New Zealand Council for Educational Research, The University of Waikato. Report prepared for the Ministry of Education.
Date Published: October 2009
This report is available as a download (please refer to the 'Downloads' inset box). To view the individual chapters please refer to the 'Sections' inset box. For links to related publications/ information that may be of interest please refer to the 'Where to Find Out More' inset box.
- Absolum, M., Flockton, L., Hattie, J., Hipkins, R., & Reid, I. (2009). Directions for assessment in New Zealand. Wellington: Ministry of Education.
- Brown, J. & Isaacs, D. (2005). World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures through Conversations That Matter. Berrett-Koehler Publ Inc.
- Davis, B. (2004). Inventions of teaching: A genealogy. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Elmore, R. (2000). Building a new structure for school leadership. The Albert Shanker Institute.
- Engelbart, D. (1992). Toward high-performance organizations: A strategic role for groupware. The Bootstrap Institute.
- Fullan, M. (2001). Leading in a culture of change. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Fullan, M. (2005). Leadership and sustainability: System thinkers in action. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- Gonzalez, J. S. (1998.) The 21st century intranet. Centreveille, VA: Prentice Hall.
- Hannaway, J., & Woodroffe, N. (2003). Policy instruments in education. Review of Research in Education, 27, 1–24.
- Hipkins, R. (2006). Background to the key competencies. Wellington: Ministry of Education.
- Hipkins, R., Cowie, B., Boyd, S., & McGee, C. (2009). Themes from the curriculum implementation case studies. Wellington: Ministry of Education.
- Jones, M. & Eick, C. (2007) Implementing inquiry kit curriculum: Obstacles, adaptations, and practical knowledge development in two middle school science teachers. Science Education
- 91(3), 492–513.
- Leithwood, K., Harris, A., & Hopkins, D. (2008). Seven strong claims about successful school. Nottinhgam: National Collegefor School Leadership.
- Ministry of Education. (1993). The New Zealand curriculum framework. Wellington: Learning Media.
- Ministry of Education. (2007). The New Zealand curriculum. Wellington: Learning Media.
- Southworth, G. (2005). Learning-centred leadership. In B. Davies (Ed.), The essentials of school leadership (pp. 75–92). London: Paul Chapman.
- Sumara, D. J., & Davis, B. (1996). Enactivist theory and community learning: Toward a complexified understanding of action research. Educational Action Research, 5(3), 403–422.
- Timperley, H., Wilson, A., Barrar, H., & Fung, I. (2007). Teacher professional learning and development: Best evidence synthesis iteration (BES). Wellington: Ministry of Education.
Where to find out more
Education Data Requests
If you have any questions about education data then please contact us at:
Email: Requests EDK
Phone: +64 4 463 8065